Friday, February 3, 2017

I put the weekend here somewhere ....


TGIF

Of course, it's Superbowl weekend. I guess I'm for the Falcons because I don't like the Patriots.


 Don't know how much of the game I'll really watch. There's also the Puppy Bowl.


And the commercials during the game. Not interested in the half-time show because though I don't mind Lady Gaga, I'm not interested in politics during this kind of entertainment.

I do plan on making a few paleo snackages for me. Cashew "cheese", Macadamia nut "cheese", guacamole, artichoke caviar, and salmon spread. I have cucumbers and paleo crackers for dipping. I need to pick up celery maybe. I forgot to do that.


No NCIS-LA on Sunday. Bah.


Yeah, they're not back until like February 26th because of Super Bowl, Grammys and, what the Academy Awards or something? Double bah.


On 4MA, I've proposed that we do reads of the top three categories of the Edgar Awards, which are in April. The top category, Best Novel, I've suggested for February. Here's the nominees:
  • The Ex by Alafair Burke (HarperCollins Publishers – Harper)  
  • Where It Hurts by Reed Farrel Coleman (Penguin Random House – G.P. Putnam's Sons) 
  • Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye (Penguin Random House – G.P. Putnam's Sons) 
  • What Remains of Me by Alison Gaylin (HarperCollins Publishers – William Morrow) 
  • Before the Fall by Noah Hawley (Hachette Book Group – Grand Central Publishing)
I don't usually do group read things but I will attempt to get the ball rolling by doing the audiobook of JANE STEEL by Lyndsay Faye.


“A thrill ride of a novel. A must read for lovers of Jane Eyre, dark humor, and mystery.”
PopSugar.com
“Reader, I murdered him.”

A sensitive orphan, Jane Steele suffers first at the hands of her spiteful aunt and predatory cousin, then at a grim school where she fights for her very life until escaping to London, leaving the corpses of her tormentors behind her. After years of hiding from the law while penning macabre “last confessions” of the recently hanged, Jane thrills at discovering an advertisement. Her aunt has died and her childhood home has a new master: Mr. Charles Thornfield, who seeks a governess. Burning to know whether she is in fact the rightful heir, Jane takes the position incognito and learns that Highgate House is full of marvelously strange new residents—the fascinating but caustic Mr. Thornfield, an army doctor returned from the Sikh Wars, and the gracious Sikh butler Mr. Sardar Singh, whose history with Mr. Thornfield appears far deeper and darker than they pretend. As Jane catches ominous glimpses of the pair’s violent history and falls in love with the gruffly tragic Mr. Thornfield, she faces a terrible dilemma: Can she possess him—body, soul, and secrets—without revealing her own murderous past?
Published in 2016, it has 427 pages.

Otherwise, this weekend the usual cleaning and laundry and napping. No other plans that I'm aware of. I need to do major reading because I have, what, four of them on Tuesday arriving? Plus through the Amazon Prime deals and so forth I add stuff every day.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Be safe.


Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: